Wine sound discussion summary

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 08:32:24 CST 2009

I have made some drawings of the current Wine audio architecture, the
WinXP architecture, the Vista architecture and the proposals we have
seen. The drawings are based on information which can be found on
MSDN. Regarding Vista/Win7 it would be useful to read:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd316780%28VS.85%29.aspx which
explains the architecture in detail. Basically all Microsoft APIs use
WASAPI which in turn implements IAudioClient and other classes which
talk to an 'audio engine' which is implemented in
audiodg.dll/audiodg.exe. This audio engine is quite similar to
pulseaudio and it offers functionality like per stream volume which
normal APIs like oss/alsa/openal don't offer, so these APIs would map
better to a sound server than to a standard library.

Roderick