meaning of "Hardware" field in bugzilla?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:35:03 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> Austin English wrote:
>>> I agree with you, this change seems suspect.  Austin, are you trying
>>> to distinguish PPC bugs from x86 ones with this, or what?
>>> --Juan
>>>

>> I've seen the same change made a few times in the past (I'd have to
>> search for it). Looking at other bugzilla's, Mozilla puts Intel Mac
>> bugs under PC...after all, since they've moved to x86, for all intents
>> and purposes, Intel Macs are PC's (especially if running Linux rather
>> than OS X). Those running OS X still can be identified as such by the
>> OS field.
>>
>> Yes, my goal was to separate x86/ppc bugs.
>>

> Then we should change the tab to read ppc rather than mac.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to (finally) make some
progress on this...

I'd really like to see the Macintosh verb removed/renamed, since an
Intel Mac is really just a PC. The OS field tells us it's a Mac, and,
for example, a Linux OS on an Intel Mac is no different (to Wine) than
a regular x86/x86_64 PC running Linux.

Dan and I discussed it, and figured renaming the hardware to reflect
the architecture would be more descriptive:
Macintosh -> ppc32
PC -> x86
PC-x86-64 -> x86-64
sun -> sparc