Building and packaging Wine Gecko

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Fri Dec 11 16:03:11 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:11:59PM +0200, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I see that Wine has recently started to always request installation of
> Gecko, and that it is recommended to use a distribution provided package.
>
> We do not yet provide a wine-gecko package in Mandriva, but we'd like to.
>
> According to our policy (and the policy of e.g. Debian, Fedora)
> everything in our main repositories has to be compiled by us without
> external binaries compiled by a third party.
>
> I noticed there are build instructions here:
> http://wiki.winehq.org/BuildingWineGecko
>
> However, the instructions on that page ask for copying binaries directly
> provided in wine-mozilla tarball, and for modifying mingw32 headers.
> These actions are rather unacceptable for us (I guess the latter one is
> workaroundable, though).
>
> I saw that http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko says Gentoo and openSUSE package
> Gecko properly. I looked at the Gentoo package [1] and saw that they
> simply download the prebuilt cab, which we can't do. I took a look in
> openSUSE src.rpm [2], but found no references to Gecko, and I didn't see
> any separate wine-gecko src.rpm there. I did found wine-gecko OpenSUSE
> binary packages in Wine's SourceForge page, but no source packages or
> information on how it was built.
>
> Is it really not possible to build Wine Gecko from the source code, on
> command line, on Linux?
> Or is it just that nobody has written any instructions on how to do that?

For openSUSE it is currently only in the openSUSE buildservice.

For acceptance into the openSUSE distribution itself, it either needs to be:

- fully buildable from source (difficult)
- less strict licensed than (L)GPL.

  As it is Mozilla stuff which seems dual or triple licensed, what is the actual license(s)
  of the wine-gecko build?

Ciao, Marcus