Broken-down time (struct tm)

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Sat Dec 19 13:16:27 CST 2009

I will soon have access to a network license for a piece of software that
uses the Sentinel Protection Driver (ie. I do not need USB support), so I am
looking into implementing ExSystemTimeToLocalTime (Bug 19395) so that the
driver will work properly.  In the process of researching a good way to
support this feature I found that the "broken-down time structure" (struct
tm) has a member for the local timezone offset from GMT (tm_gmtoff).
According to the man pages this feature requires that _BSD_SOURCE be defined
before including time.h; however, I found this member being used in
dlls/msvcrt/time.c without this #define.  So, the question I have is whether
it is OK to use tm_gmtoff in Wine (whether there is a portability concern)
and the proper way to include time.h to use this feature.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu