Building and packaging Wine Gecko

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Mon Dec 28 01:34:46 CST 2009

OK, I've almost got a wine-gecko package built 100% from source, but
there's a problem: the gcc version in Debian's mingw32, namely gcc
4.2.1-sjlj, apparently miscompiles the wine-gecko 1.0.0 sources, the
resulting Gecko just crashes. (The mingw32 version in oldstable, 3.4.5
something, compiles it correctly, but I can't reasonably build-depend on
it, as that version is not even in the current stable.)

(Note that this 4.2.1-sjlj might not suffer from that gcc bug 9381
mentioned on the wiki, as the testcases for it doesn't seem to crash. Or
aren't they supposed to crash?)

I also seem to recall the gcc 4.4-based mingw32 compiler, available in
unstable, also refusing to compile those sources at all, due to numerous
problems with the headers, such as inconsistently declared calling
conventions for methods and stuff.

I'm not sure what to do about this. Any ideas about something I can do
to make it build with gcc 4.2 or 4.4?

I can also mention that I managed to build this package completely
without wintools.zip at all, by simply patching out the build of the
cross-compiled xpidl.exe. It's an xpcom developer tool and probably not
needed at runtime (and the xpidl.exe in the official wine-gecko cab
would probably have failed to run anyway, because its dll dependencies
aren't included in the cab file). A host build of xpidl is still needed
to build Gecko, but for that, only the regular Linux version of glib and
libIDL is needed, not wintools. You can disable cross-compiling
xpidl.exe by editing xpcom/typelib/xpidl/Makefile.in and kill the two
lines commented with "Sadly, the code here is too smart for the
WinCE/Symbian compiler's brain".