wine honor roll slashdotted

Luke Benstead kazade at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 08:15:45 CST 2009

2009/2/3 James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>:
> Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>>Sent: Feb 3, 2009 6:48 AM
>>To: Wine Devel <wine-devel at winehq.org>
>>Subject: wine honor roll slashdotted
>>
>>http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/03/0112249
>>
>>One comment mentions the grade inflation on the appdb,
>>i.e. platinum apps that have not been thoroughly tested
>>or don't really qualify as platinum...
>>
> Dan:
>
> Sadly, I agree with the grade inflation.  We need a grading interface that will generate whether or not an application is Plat/Gold/Silver/Bronze/Garbage based upon user input.  This usually stops the inflation.
>
> James McKenzie

Perhaps, the grading should be separate from the test result
submissions? I know a few times I've run a program under Wine and then
only later looked up the entry on the appdb, by that stage I might not
even be on the same PC, or have the time to submit a full test result,
but I'd have a pretty good idea how I would rate it. It would be good
if logged in users could just quickly say "Yes, I would give this gold
status" then the final grade could be the average of the votes.

Luke.