Fixing AppDB once and for all

Zachary Goldberg zgold at bluesata.com
Tue Feb 3 16:00:00 CST 2009

2009/2/3 Sparr <sparr0 at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Louis Lenders
> <xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Zachary Goldberg <zgold <at> bluesata.com> writes:
>> I think this will be a very difficult if not impossible task to accomplish.
>> If we talk about test results, it's the app maintainer that is responsible
>> for the correctness of the ratings and test results. What would you want to
>> do if you think that the ratings for application X are overestimated?
>> Remove the maintainer from the application entry in appdb?
>> Then you'd have to check yourself for every app, if ratings are correct.
>
> These problems could be mitigated by making it easier to submit test
> results.  Even something as simple as a 5-star "how well does it work
> for you" system that any registered user can submit with a single
> click.  Yes, the information we get will be less specific, but we will
> get a *LOT* more of it.  I would rather know that 1740 people have
> gotten a game to work and 400 haven't (and no other information than
> that) than to see just just five detailed test results saying
> gold/gold/silver/silver/garbage.

As I mentioned previously this thread's purpose is not to decide how
this is to be done.  Thats what the IRC meeting is for.

We can go on and on about how its best to be done over wine-devel but
unless the people who have a stake in the matter and the ability to do
it sit down and make some hard decisions the talk won't result in
action.