Stub DDE interface for Progman.exe

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Fri Feb 6 14:33:22 CST 2009

Jeremiah Flerchinger [mailto:jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com] wrote:

> ShellDDEInit didn't exist before Win 2000 and was in
> Shdocw.dll and not shell32.dll.

Actually it is supported back to at least Win98 in shdocw and most
probably even Win95 since that did support the progman interface too.

> Do we want to call ShellDDEInit in shell32 when Wine starts (and
> ends) then? It  is supposed to be called only by the process that
> is acting as the shell when it registers itself as a DDE host for
> the shell. I don't think anything else would ever call it then.

If you want Wine explorer to potentially run on Windows systems too
you would probably call the export in shdocw instead which dynamically
forwards to shell32 in Wine.

Once the shell32 DDE server does actually something useful I think
it would be a good idea to initialize it in the first explorer process
that gets started.

Maybe ShellDDEInit even should protect itself from being called multiple
times to start up the server.

Rolf Kalbermatter