imagicos

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 09:57:51 CST 2009

2009/2/8 Tom Wickline <twickline at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/2/8 Tom Wickline <twickline at gmail.com>:
>> > And your getting the OS and support with the OS.
>> Wrong. Read the license. They offer absolutely no support for the OS.
>> You're buying the binaries and that's it. (This could be a violation
>> of GPL too)
>
> They have a support forum, im sure they would help people with issues.

Their license actually says that they don't provide support.
http://www.imagicos.com/get.html
7: GENERAL
"Licensor has no obligation to provide support, maintenance, upgrades,
modifications or new releases under this Agreement."

Argue the semantics of "obligation" if you will, but their license
actually says they're not selling support at all.

>> No matter what you think, this particular distro looks very shifty to
>> me. Possible license violations (not that I'm an expert, and I'd
>> welcome an expert opinion).
>>

> What's shitty about it?
Shifty. With an 'f'. AKA "dodgy", AKA "don't trust them to open a can of beans"

> they are a small distro who is bundling CrossOver
> and Wine
> and annoucing that they provide  support for a select  number of Windows
> applications
> and games..  Seems to me you would be delighted by this publisity of Wine.

What publicity? The fact that it was brought to the attention of
wine-devel? Is anyone ELSE talking about it?

> Also, IneedAname CrossOver Pro cost $69.95 up until yesterday, then it went
> on Valintines
> Day sale and was ruducet to $59.95 ...
>
> See:
> http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/cxoffice-linux/codeweavers-valentines-day-sale.html

Part of the problem with iMagic is they don't actually tell you what
you get. They make a reference to Wine here, a reference to Crossover
there. Someone suggested that they ship Crossover Games. Isn't that
cheaper than Pro?

> And even if they are in some way vilolating the GPL by not hosting the
> operating systems source

Not the problem.
1) Source of individual apps can be retrieved from appropriate
websites. As long as the websites are referenced in the distro's
documentation of each app, they're within the grounds of GPL.
2) They don't have to license their own code written for the distro under GPL

What it seems to me is that they are selling binaries, not support.
They could be selling licenses (for Crossover, mp3 etc), but that's
not a matter for us to resolve. If it is determined that what they are
selling is binaries, then I'm almost certain that is a violation of
GPL.