imagicos

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 13:50:47 CST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Also:
>>> # Internet Explorer 5.0 and 5.5
>>> # Internet Explorer 6.0
>>
>> I've heard of some success with 6.0 (without crappy
>> winedoors/ies4linux stuff), so I didn't comment.
>>
>>> # iPod Support in iTunes 4.0
>>
>> Hmm, that seems unlikely
>>
>>> # Mac OS X
>>> # Mac OS X Audio Input Support
>>
>> Well spotted, Austin!
>>
>> Maybe they're talking about a VM, not Wine ... in which case, you'd
>> have to get a copy of Windows, which defeats the purpose of being
>> proud about their Windows app support.
>>

> From http://www.imagicos.com/why.html :
> "Compatibility
> iMagic OS can run many Microsoft Windows applications along with Linux
> applications, with help from the built in Crossover software."
>
> Either they've got a deal with Crossover, or bundled it somehow?
>
> I sent them an e-mail asking for the source, we'll see how that goes.
>
> --
> -Austin

Got a reply (pretty quick, must say):
contact at imagicos.com to me 7:02 AM (6 hours ago)

Glad to help. We recognize that people have put a lot of work into GNU
software, and we honor that with GPL by having the Debian Binary Packages
freely available for ease of installation. Attached to this email is a text
file that details out this process. We cannot give out all source code,
because iMagic OS includes proprietary software such as Crossover Pro &
Games, Picasa, Skype, and others, as well as our own applications,
including magicOnline and magicOffice, enhancements, configurations, and
other desktop features. But we honor anything GNU, so feel free to download
the DEBs from Ubuntu repos as we did per instructions in the attached text
file.

Best Wishes!

Your Friends at iMagic OS

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:28:34 -0600, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I don't see anywhere where I can download the source to
> GPL/GPL'ed/BSD/etc. code used in your operating system. Can you send
> me the link please.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> -Austin

Along with the attached text file...apparently they think pointing
users to binary packages is enough to satisfy the GPL o.0.

--
-Austin