EVE online losing its Linux Client

François Guerraz kubrick at fgv6.net
Mon Feb 9 02:32:51 CST 2009

On 9/02/09 3:55, Chris Robinson wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2009 6:17:38 pm Zachary Goldberg wrote:
>
>> http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/08/206252&from=rss
>>
>> It seems that a game studio found that Wine worked so well that they
>> have given up their efforts to maintain a native client.  While
>> encouraging that Wine works so well, there is a very interesting
>> debate which could be had as to whether or not this kind of affect is
>> desirable.
>>

> Their "native Linux client" was the Windows client on top of Cedega. They're
> stopping support for the official client running on Cedega, and instead
> recommending Wine.

Hi,

Unfortunately they don't seem to recommend Wine, neither they announce
Wine as a supported platform. They just drop Linux support because of
"the lack of interest for the Linux client" that no one was using
because the game worked far much better with Wine :)

A great thing would be that they officially support Wine.

Also, if the Mac Wine would have worked better (I know it's Apple crappy
X11 fault and native Mac's API drivers cocoa language's fault... but
users don't care), it's very likely that they dropped their mac "native"
client.

François