ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Feb 9 09:19:42 CST 2009

James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> writes:

> It does not hurt anything but Wine's reputation.  I don't know, but
> the phrase "I would rather be run over rather than run down" does
> apply here.  In other words, we should be getting positive responses
> to user experiences, rather than dealing with newbies having to delete
> their .wine directories because they ran Wine as root without setting
> to the root environment.

Again, please demonstrate the exact sequence that leads to an actual
problem, not just vague hearsay of people reporting problems that may or
may not have anything to do with this.

I'm all for being more friendly to newbies, and that's precisely why I
want to solve the actual problem (if there is one), not just print a
warning and then tell them "it's your fault for not heeding the
warning". We all know that people ignore warnings, so it doesn't add any
user-friendliness at all, just the opposite.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org