ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Mon Feb 9 22:16:15 CST 2009

Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/2/10 Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com>:
>> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>>> Again, please demonstrate the exact sequence that leads to an actual
>>> problem, not just vague hearsay of people reporting problems that may or
>>> may not have anything to do with this.
>>>
>> Will this work? BTW default Open SuSE configuration.
>>
>> vitaliy at dragon:~ $export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-root
>> vitaliy at dragon:~ $sudo wine winecfg
>> root's password:
> Since when did sudo ask for root's password? It (normally?) asks for
> the user's password.
>
>> wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
> Is WINEPREFIX being passed to wine via sudo? For that matter, is sudo
> overriding $HOME on your system? Or have you run "su -c winecfg" and
> just replaced it with "sudo" above?
>
>> Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
>> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
> Interesting. xauth problem. Again, I'd be surprised if this happened
> with sudo. Not so surprised if it happened with "su -".

Quoting myself:
>> default Open SuSE configuration.

Here is all the not commented content of the /etc/sudoers:

Defaults always_set_home
Defaults env_reset
# And a long list of LC_* allowed env vars:
Defaults env_keep = "LANG LC_* ... LINGUAS XDG_SESSION_COOKIE"

Defaults targetpw   # ask for the password of the target user i.e. root
ALL<--->ALL=(ALL) ALL   # WARNING! Only use this together with 'Defaults
targetpw'!
root<-->ALL=(ALL) ALL

Explains everything you see from 'sudo wine winecfg'.

Vitaliy.