ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:24:40 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:

>>> Will this work? BTW default Open SuSE configuration.
>>>
>>> vitaliy at dragon:~ $export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-root
>>> vitaliy at dragon:~ $sudo wine winecfg
>>> root's password:
>>> wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
>>
>> As you can see it's creating a new prefix under /root, so it's not
>> messing up the user's prefix. That's perfectly fine.
>>
> That part worked you are correct.
>
> However X11 part didn't (missing $DISPLAY). And even if $DISPLAY would be
> defined in this case all programs will be installed into root's env not
> user's. No menu entries, no desktop links no visible installed programs -
> big problem for noob users "where did my stuff go"?
>
> Vitaliy.

That's not the (main) problem. The main problem is people installing
stuff as root when they have no reason to do so.

Alexandre, how would you feel about a one time warning, e.g., by
setting a registry key, a la wineboot when run on a new/updated
prefix.

--
-Austin