Fully automated bisecting with "git bisect run" [LWN.net]

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Wed Feb 11 04:39:50 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:42:14AM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

>     Ben> 2009/2/11 nn <saturn_systems at yahoo.com>:
>     >> Fully automated bisecting with "git bisect run" [LWN.net]:
>     >> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/317154/5dec0c8146e58b61/
>     >>
>     >> Would this be useful to add to the instructions on the wine wiki.
>     >>
>     Ben> If I understand this correctly, this is only useful when the
>     Ben> regression is something that can be tested without human
>     Ben> interaction.  This makes it virtually useless for Wine, as most
>     Ben> regressions involve loss of functionality some application.
>
>     Ben> However, it could theoretically be useful for regressions that
>     Ben> cause a complete crash of the application early on. Would it be any
>     Ben> faster?  Probably not. Fewer commands to type, since you wouldn't
>     Ben> need to run "git bisect bad" or "git bisect good" every time you
>     Ben> test the app.
>
> It should work it there is a test in the test suite too

Comments to the article suggest that it gets significantly more complex
if you have 'toxic' patches in the tree. i.e. a patch that breaks your
test but is a different bug. You test needs to catch this and return a
different code to tell git to skip that revision.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."