Firefox 3 runs faster on Linux+Wine than on Linux -- comparative to running on Windows

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 13 18:22:02 CST 2009

2009/2/13 Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> For those not monitoring slashdot [1], there is an article [2] that is
> comparing the Google V8 benchmark on Windows and Linux versions of
> Firefox 3.
>
> The result of this is that the Windows and Wine runs are pretty close
> (241 vs 227) when compared to the Linux run (181) and Opera (155).
>
> I wonder what the results are like on Firefox 3.1 with tracemonkey
> enabled on Windows, Wine and Linux.
>
> [1] http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/13/0058251
> [2] http://www.tuxradar.com/content/browser-benchmarks-2-even-wine-beats-linux-firefox

As a follow up, I have been doing some testing of my own.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pCaFy3jQwNj5XFrxvcYJxPA&gid=3
shows the results for several different runs using different
optimisation options on gcc for wine. For linux, wine and for wine
optimised to better target the machine, I have taken the average of 3
runs. Because I overwrote my -O3 build of wine, I only have the one
data point.

What does this all mean? I'll leave that to the statisticians :D

NOTE: I haven't tried Profile Guided Optimisation on wine, nor have I
tried building Firefox 3 with optimisations on when running it on
native Linux... yet!

- Reece