WINEGATE.DLL: Wine gateway to native Unix libraries

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Sat Feb 14 17:35:56 CST 2009

On Sa, 2009-02-14 at 05:39 +0100, Martin Hinner wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I have created a small library to allow Win32 applications running
> under Wine to load native Unix shared libraries (.so). First (one-hour
> hack) version is available at
> http://martin.hinner.info/tmp/winegate.tar.gz ; Please consider
> inclusion in WINE tree (dll/ directory). Please note that Makefile.in
> as well as configure scripts will likely need some changes.
>
>  Purpose of this Wine DLL is to allow Windows applications to use
> directly Unix library functions. This is useful  for example for
> applications which talk to specific drivers  and it's not
> efficient/possible to create system native DLL  for such driver or
> library. Win32 app. vendor is required only to detect execution under
> Wine and load proper native library.
>
>  WinGate.DLL exports dlopen/dlsym/dlclose/dlerror functions  which
> allow Windows app to load additional libraries and use them.

Hi Martin.
Thanks for your interest in Wine.
I read your Mail, and my first impresion was: not needed

After downloading winegate.tar.gz and reading the source:
winegate is a nice Idea, but it's useless.

Why?
- Your proxy code is not portable.
- It's already present in Wine:
  libwine.dll has exports for wine_dlopen/wine_dlclose/wine_dlsym
  please read: libs/wine/loader.c

--

By by ... Detlef