WINEGATE.DLL: Wine gateway to native Unix libraries

Martin Hinner martin at hinner.info
Sat Feb 14 18:08:56 CST 2009

Dan,

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> I'd been suggesting to ISVs that they create a single
> winelib dll and conditionally load that if present,
> but winegate.dll might be an appealing alternative.

I think wine needs some universal library so as there is not 20 other
ISV-specific solutions...

If wine-team decides not to include this (or similar .dll) in the Wine
package, we'll just redistribute it with the application, but I think
there is need for such library.

> I don't think this really brings up any security considerations
> but it is a reminder that Windows programs under Wine
> have access to the entire Linux system just like Linux
> programs do.
>
> btw nice name, but it pulls up 7 million hits for me,
> not sure what you mean by "google doesn't reveal
> any other uses of the name".

:-))) I was searching for "winegate.dll", not just plain winegate. I
meant that there will likely be no collision with other .DLL.

Now it finds my post + some garbage. Google is damn fast.

Martin