Debian Etch, Lenny and Squeeze packages

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:29:03 CST 2009

Debian Lenny has gone stable. YAY! I've already got chroots and my
build scripts set up for Debian Squeeze, which is the new testing, so
I'll be able to produce packages of Wine for Squeeze without trouble,
but there are some issues I'd like comment on.

1) I will not supply packages for Etch/amd64 (this used to be a TODO
for me). No negotiation on this, but I am willing to assist people to
compile/package it themselves if there's a good reason for not
upgrading to Lenny.
2) I'll still build Etch/i386 packages (because it's damn easy for me
to do so), but how long should this go on for? Ideally, we should
encourage people to upgrade to Lenny.
3) Do we want to set up a Squeeze repository with 1.1.15 in it, or
should we wait until the next release to set up a Squeeze repository?
If the former, I will build packages specifically on/for Squeeze -
best to do it this way for maximum compatibility.

Ideally, I'd like a standardised policy on points #2 and #3, so that
we know what's going on for the next release of Debian (I know,
long-term planning). Scott, I'd value your opinion too, even though
you only do Ubuntu packages now.