Win to Lin Library Wrapper

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Feb 18 07:03:12 CST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2009 10:06:03 schrieb King InuYasha:
> So it wouldn't be possible to hook Wine's Direct3D implementation into
> Gallium3D on Linux and use the hardware directly instead of translating it
> to OpenGL and then sending it to the hardware?
Possible yes. I don't know if its gains anything though. We can never use the
hardware directly, we always have to bother the Linux/Mac/Whatever driver.

If we go D3D->Gallium3D->Driver->HW or D3D->GL->Driver->HW doesn't make too
much difference, and Gallium3D is a driver specific API. It won't work on the
proprietary drivers or on MacOS, so I don't think it is worth the effort.

The one big advantage of Gallium3D is that its interface is more flexible, and
it is easier to implement certain things that opengl doesn't have yet(e.g.
the color selection for flat shading).

The bottom line is that if anybody implements a Gallium3D backend and it is
well-written and has a reasonable design it will most likely be accepted. I
personally don't have any plans to do that right now though.