msi: begin support for finding network last sources in find_published_source

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:33:22 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  No i never saw the e-mail that you send to Jeremy.
>
>  I will admit that i did not dig really deep for this patch as it appeared
> to me that the fix was obvious (there was even a fixme in the code saying we
> needed to do what the installer was asking for)

Unfortunately the error is misleading.  A good mentality to take is
that if you see the error about 'unable to extract ABC.cab' then we're
trying to install a file that shouldn't be installed (or reinstalled.)

>  There are about 4 CAB files that the service pack asks for to install (and
> only installs a few files out of each) that are accessed by this method.
>  Each one does not exist on the original media at all and only seems
> accessable via the LastSource location.

I don't see how that's possible.  If they're in LastSource, that means
we used them before and came from the original media. I'm confused
about that though, because the only cabs that should be accessed by
the SP1 installer are stored in the package itself.  Any other file
that tries to be installed is improperly being reinstalled.

>  I am curious what tests you did to prove that you did not need the original
> media or even the copied cab files?  Did you do a test on windows where you
> deleted them all and the upgrade worked?

Yes that is one way to test it.  The fullfile SP1 does not, and should
not, rely on the original media and stored cabs.  If our msi is asking
for those old cabs, it means we're reinstalling a file that shouldn't
be reinstalled (which is a bug.)

>  I will investigate some more, but i do not feel that this patch is
> incorrect, even if it should not be needed. Am I right there?

No, I think the patch is wrong in that if you remove the original
media and the stored cabs, the install will fail.

--
James Hawkins