faultrep:display useful information in ReportFault

Jérôme Gardou jerome.gardou at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:34:24 CST 2009

Chris Robinson a écrit :
> On Sunday 22 February 2009 12:09:01 pm Austin English wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Jérôme Gardou <jerome.gardou at gmail.com>
>>
> wrote:

>>> After a bit of thinking, I think that this should be displayed each time
>>> the function is called. Is there any macro in wine/debug.h which would
>>> display a message, even when WINEDEBUG is set to "-all" ?
>>>
>> MESSAGE()

Thanks !

> Perhaps a MessageBox or some fancier dialog would be better. MSDN says it can
> behave differently depending on how the user has their system configured..
> what kind of options are available?

The aim of this patch is to provide some information to wine developers
when an application crashes because of an unexpected behaviour of the
winapi implementation. In this case, the implementation is WINE, and
fixmes/traces etc... are currently displayed in console. I'm not sure
that we want to reproduce windows XP behaviour here (understand "Your
application encountered an unexpected error. What do you want to do :
send report/do not send) which annoys most people, and is not that useful.
Most wine users, when their app crashes, open a bug report and attach
the console log. If the log contains information got from ReportFault,
developers will gain some time, and have the preceding context of the call.

Just my 2 cents :-)