Malware on Wine review

Zachary Goldberg zgold at bluesata.com
Mon Feb 23 17:58:10 CST 2009

2009/2/23 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/index.php/2009/02/23/running-windows-malware-in-linux/
>>>
>>> "Do not set the file association for Windows executables with Wine.
>>> This would enable running Windows executables in Wine by simply double
>>> clicking them."
>>>
>>> I saw a patch floating by to turn this on by default recently.  Maybe
>>> we should make it off by default, but easy to turn on...?
>>
>> This would annoy all the people that the association targets. We can
>> either make it easy to run all Windows apps (malware and legit) via
>> file manager, or none at all.
>
> Yes, exactly.  The default should be off, and it should be easy to
> turn on.
> - Dan

I disagree on this point.  Is malware via Wine on Linux really a
problem commonly affecting users?  What happened to replicated
Window's behavior bug for bug?  User X might ask: double clicking an
exe works in Windows why shouldn't it in Linux?  Why should user X
have to go through an extra step to do something on Linux than they
would on Windows?

-Zach