Malware on Wine review

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 12:33:49 CST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 5:14:20 pm Marcel Partap wrote:
> The problem would be with one of the more common use case: trying to
> start/install a program from an optical disc. The files will not be
> marked +x and the directories not be writable.

They're +x for me. They're not writable, but they don't need to be.

Maybe if you mount the disc with the noexec option the files aren't +x, but
that's exactly what's supposed to happen.. prevent execution of programs on
the mounted filesystem. The same issue would exist if the user had a CD with
Linux programs on it. Why should Wine deliberately side-step such a security
feature? Just because it's an exe loaded by Wine instead of loaded directly by
the system shouldn't change what happens, IMO.

> Despite from the install-from-cdrom issue, few users that have (been)
> switched from windows to linux will know how to chmod +x a file, so
> wine would at least have to give them a hint (or even a button) to do
> it.

I don't think Wine needs to bring up a button. It's easy enough to say to run
chmod +x, and it's possible to say how to do it in the file manager (right-
click the exe->Properties->Permissions, select that it's executable; I don't
imagine it's too different across the default file managers).

If the user goes through the trouble of explicitly marking the exe as
executable, then it's on their hands. Ignoring the executable flag or using a
passive click-through dialog is an accident waiting to happen.

> Maybe a better solution would be to introduce an optional dependency
> on ClamAV and tight integration with it - known malware could be
> filtered and distributors would have greater interest in contributing
> to continuous  ClamAV signature updates..

I don't think it's Wine's place to save users from themselves. However, it
should be Wine's place to honor basic system security options the user has
set, and not double-guess them.