Malware on Wine review

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:33:38 CST 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 3:46:53 pm Paul Chitescu wrote:
> My FAT partitions disable +x through file mode mount option since I don't
> want the kernel to attempt to identify and execute every unknown file I
> happen to open/click/hit enter. On those partitions there are no POSIX
> executables but plenty of Win32 ones - many of them shared between Windows
> and Wine.

If you want to execute something (Wine or otherwise), why set -x?  If you set
a file to be -r, would you expect to read it in Wine, still? Or if it's -w,
would you expect Wine apps to be able to write to it? Of course you wouldn't,
so why should x be different?

If you require an exe to be +x, it becomes quite a bit more difficult to
unintentionally run it. Unsolicited files do not get +x, thus it's impossible
to execute them, accidentally or carelessly (sans the .desktop file issue that
has come up, again, recently). If you ignore the +x, then all it takes is a
mis-click on an email or some other simple mistake.