Malware on Wine review

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:38:15 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Johan Dahlin <johan at gnome.org> wrote:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>
> wrote:
> >> When I brought this up at the Ubuntu Developer Summit a while back, the
> >> security conscious there wanted to check an executable for the execute
> >> bit before launching it with Wine.  Then, the user would be prompted if
> >> they wanted to run it, and if yes the execute bit would be set and the
> >> program launched.
> >>
> >> This check would be skipped if you clicked a link on the start menu
> >> (since you obviously meant to launch a program then).
> >
> > Sounds good.  A helper app could do this for us, I think.
> >
> >> That said, there's no point becoming "safe" until the desktop also
> >> disables single click running of .desktop files that don't have the
> >> execute bit set.  It's trivial to write a piece of Linux malware that
> >> does whatever you want by making it a .desktop file - you can even make
> >> it so it displays as whatever name you like (and not foo.desktop).
> >
> > Right.  Both changes are needed, the .desktop one more urgently.
>
> That's already solved in nautilus;
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/nautilus?view=revision&revision=15003
>
> Johan

Now that Nautilus has the desktop file requiring execute bit, I have a
question for all of you to consider. Do JAR files require the +x bit to load
them, or are they treated like associated files and run through the
interpreter? Really, Windows apps on Linux is basically the same situation
as Java applications run through the bytecode interpreter. Most distros do
not treat Java JAR files are executables, but rather as an associated file
to the JVM. AFAIK, the main difference between the Wine and Java methods is
that Wine doesn't sandbox its loading environment, while Java does. If Wine
used a W32VM of some kind, then it would make more sense _not_ to require
the execute bit. However, it does not use one, so it would make sense to
have the execute bit.

Also, NTFS DOES have a concept of execute bits, but Windows itself does not
use them. An implementation of this is the "trusted" app scheme in the
properties in Windows Vista and above (I don't remember if XPSP2 had it
also). Although this scheme is mostly broken, it was intended to stop the
execution of apps just downloaded from the internet from a non-trusted
source.