Malware on Wine review

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:44:52 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/26 King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com>:

> >> You just answered your own question. Java is interpreted and has to be
> >> passed through a compatible byte-code interpreter. Wine does not
> >> interpret PE files in this fashion, and cannot because it is not and
> >> does not have a CPU emulator. So a JAR file should run if passed as an
> >> argument to the interpreter, just like what happens with the scripting
> >> languages that open the file for reading instead of trying to fork and
> >> execute.
> >>

> > But, doesn't Wine translate Win32 calls into its equivalent calls for
> Linux?
> > GDI to X11, D3D to OpenGL, etc.?
> > That sounds like an interpreter to me. It may not necessarily a bytecode
> > interpreter, but it still interprets the Win32 API and translates it to
> the
> > appropriate UNIX APIs. Isn't this what makes Wine not an emulator?
>
> It's a compatibility layer. It doesn't actually interpret individual
> instructions. As described earlier, Wine sets up an environment
> suitable for the Windows apps to run in (which is primarily
> *implementations* of win32 calls that "translate" in one way or
> another into *nix/X11 calls) and then just lets it do its thing.
> Unlike in Java, scripting languages etc, Wine does not read in the
> application one instruction at a time and do a mapping/translation
> into executable functionality. The assembly components (such as
> mathematical operations) run as if it was a native application.

So, in theory, Wine could simply run itself on top of Linux (basically a
ReactOS desktop on top of Linux instead of the NT kernel) and work just like
Windows because it operates in a native app style? Granted, that probably
would require quite a bit of tweaking to get it done, and the devs probably
wouldn't want to do it, but because of its design, that would be possible?