Malware on Wine review

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:48:17 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a compatibility layer. It doesn't actually interpret individual
> instructions. As described earlier, Wine sets up an environment
> suitable for the Windows apps to run in (which is primarily
> *implementations* of win32 calls that "translate" in one way or
> another into *nix/X11 calls) and then just lets it do its thing.
> Unlike in Java, scripting languages etc, Wine does not read in the
> application one instruction at a time and do a mapping/translation
> into executable functionality. The assembly components (such as
> mathematical operations) run as if it was a native application.

Indeed. You could say that Linux userland is a "Linux compatibility
layer" just like Wine is one for Windows. It's mostly the same level
of abstraction.

Except of course for D3D. There are no drivers that expose the GPU.
Only OpenGL. But that may change with Gallium3D. I don't know what
problem that would solve though.

Remco