appdb issue: can't search for apps platinum on 1.0.x!

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 27 15:25:25 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/26 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
>> Our currently released version is 1.0, but the appdb's
>> browse feature acts as if that version no longer exists.
>> This will seriously confuse newcomers who are using
>> the 1.0.1 version (e.g. anybody who installs a fresh
>> copy of Ubuntu!).
>
> Someone mentioned on another thread (or possibly on IRC, I don't
> recall) that 1.0-series is too old to be of concern to us. We don't
> want test data for 1.0.x; we don't want bug reports for 1.0.x unless
> they're still apparent in the development version. Development has
> stopped on 1.0.x.

That's a fine attitude from the developer's point of view,
but that means that Wine *doesn't care* about Ubuntu
users who expect to be able to use Wine by doing
"add/remove" in the system menu.

And I think we do care.

Another way around this, as Scott Ritchie pointed out, is
to arrange for what's in Ubuntu to be less stale.  However,
there are only two ways to do that: either do a stable
release more often (which is difficult, and which Alexandre
doesn't seem inclined to do), or get Ubuntu to accept an
unstable snapshot into their stable repository (which I think
they are not inclined to do).

Yet another way to show that we care about Ubuntu
users would be to make it drop-dead simple for
the average user to add the Wine repository and get
the latest wine.  The current download instructions are
really too complicated.  We need instructions that are
no more complicated than

  First:
   Click *here* to add WineHQ's repository

  Then:
   Do Applications / 'Add / Remove', and choose Wine

That would compensate for the packages in Ubuntu's repo being stale.
- Dan