Shell32 proxies/stubs

Michael Karcher wine at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 1 04:51:51 CST 2009

Hello developers,

this is just to let you know where the 3 standalone patches and three
patch series I just posted to wine-devel are going: Having proxies for
the COM objects of shell32.dll in actxprxy.dll, just as Windows XP and
Vista does.

It started with me wanting a guinea pig object that is apartment
threaded and has proxies/stubs and present on every Windows installation
to test a strange corner case in ole32. Looking around in my XP, I
decided to use the MyComputer object that is already used in the ole32
testcase. Then I found out that Windows has them, but Wine misses them
and thought to myself: Hey, this is just COM, adding a proxy should be
just adding some lines to Makefile.in and widl does the rest. It turned
out to be a quite fun project that revealed problems and/or missing
features at nearly every component involved.

The things I sent up to now fix most of the things below the proxies.
What is still unsent is a three-patch-series to actxprxy to really add
the proxies, and testcases for the remoting. While the shelllink
testcase passes on my system even with remote calls, the shlfolder
testsuite does not work correctly yet, revealing even more issues with
ole32/widl I'm currently attacking.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher