[4/5] wined3d: Convert some BOOLs to bitfields in struct IWineD3DDeviceImpl.

Rob Shearman robertshearman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:09:17 CST 2009

2008/12/30 Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at codeweavers.com>:

> From f6e4f88407491db8bb53d22d526f69b9ff761aaf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at codeweavers.com>
> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:56:49 +0100
> Subject: wined3d: Convert some BOOLs to bitfields in struct
> IWineD3DDeviceImpl.
>
> Also fills a 3 byte hole.
> ---
>  dlls/wined3d/device.c                |   17 +++++----------
>  dlls/wined3d/nvidia_texture_shader.c |    2 +-
>  dlls/wined3d/state.c                 |    4 +-
>  dlls/wined3d/wined3d_private.h       |   36

How many instances of this structure are likely to be in a process at
any one time? It seems to me as though as any memory savings gained by
making the BOOLs into bitfields will be taken up by increased code
size. There is also the risk that there will be a small performance
penalty for this and the other similar changes too.

These kinds of optimisations need to be backed up by benchmarks, for
both memory and performance.

--
Rob Shearman