AppDB: Rating / Patching

Jeff Zaroyko jeffzaroyko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:09:58 CST 2009

2009/1/6 Björn Krombholz <fox.box at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I started a discussion inside AppDB about the in my eyes "strange"
> Gold rating of Fallout 3

--snip--

> The basic point is: Fallout 3 (a game) only works with a small -- but
> nevertheless -- patch, otherwise it will crash, no matter what
> dll-overrides/settings/3rd-party apps.
-- snip --
> From how I understand the wording in [2], an app that requires a patch
> to run, can't get a gold rating. In fact, if there is no way to get it
> working in a vanilla wine release, then there is no other option than
> "Garbage" IMO. The various arguments for that assumption (possible
> breaking of other apps run by the same wine installation, regression
> tracking, etc.) are in the quote below.

That's simply not true...

Gold means you're either using native dlls, have modified the program
by patching it with nocd or you've modified Wine to make it work, ie
there is a work around that makes the application work flawlessly.
There's no reason to exclude modifying Wine, you are empowered to
change it as you see fit since it's free software.

-Jeff