AppDB: Rating / Patching

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 22:07:53 CST 2009

Jeff Zaroyko wrote:
> Gold means you're either using native dlls, have modified the program
> by patching it with nocd or you've modified Wine to make it work, ie
> there is a work around that makes the application work flawlessly.
> There's no reason to exclude modifying Wine, you are empowered to
> change it as you see fit since it's free software.

I'm siding with Bjoern on this one:  If the patch is outside of the Wine
tree, it is not Gold, it's Garbage.  If you can 'fix it' with a native
dll(s) then it is Gold IF and only IF all functions work.  For instance,
e-Sword, which is the only real reason I'm using Wine, has to have
riched20.dll and riched32.dll in order to display text.  Graphics do not
display.  It is NOT Gold, but Silver.  Yes, you can display text without
it, but you cannot input text for Notes or Topic Notes, which is what I
consider a major function.  The ability to display maps is not, as you
can view them with a different, native, application.
Now, the story changes if the patch is conforming and has been accepted
by AJ and is pending the next development release.

James McKenzie