LWN Timeline for 2008: Wine 1.0 made it!

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Jan 9 12:39:33 CST 2009

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Scott Ritchie wrote:

> Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > It seems Wine 1.0 was deemed a significant event for Linux and Free
> > Software in 2008.
> >
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/Timeline2008/
> >

> It'd be pretty strange if it weren't.  We don't brag about it, but we're
> probably one of the top 5 most newsworthy projects.

<grumpy ex-reader>

And as far as I know, in the 10 years since LWN started, there has been
exactly one LWN article about Wine. For the 1.0 release, in the
Development section.

Sure they carry the Wine announcements, and occasionally mention an
article about Wine in the Press section. But real articles about Wine?
Nope. One almost gets the feeling that they don't like Wine for some
reason...

</grumpy ex-reader>

That said, maybe we're not newsworthy.

Not that we're not doing incredible work, but that we're not
'advertising' it well enough, or that it's too obscure or presented in a
way that makes it hard to get excited about... Heck maybe we should have
more regular major releases.

     Linux, WinNT, MS-DOS - also known as the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.