Wineaudioio driver

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 13 11:59:44 CST 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
[...]
> Those two guys said that Sun is working together with
> 4Front (from the commercial OSS) on some new audio system called
> 'Boomer' and which is also OSS compatible. I believe that our wineoss
> driver works fine. This page contains some more info and more links
> http://opensolaris.org/os/project/opensound/.

Yay!
Yet another audio system. Just what we needed.
Well, at least it seems to support OSS so maybe we don't have to develop
yet another sound backend.

So to summarize, on Solaris we have the following situation:

 * Libaudioio
   - Abandoned by Solaris
   - No package provided on the Solaris 10u5 DVD
   - No package provided on the Solaris 2008/07 Companion CD
   - Obsolete Wine driver, many '#if 0', commented out code
   => Sounds like we could remove the Wine backend

 * OSS
   - Supported by Boomer which is said to be the future of the day
   - No package is provided with the Solaris 10u5 DVD
   - No package provided on the Solaris 2008/07 Companion CD
   - Our OSS backend seems to work with Boomer. Are we missing out on a
     lot of features?

 * ESound
   - Installed by default in Solaris 10u5
   - But not started by default?
   - wineesd may need some fixing to work right with it?

 * NAS
   - Not used for local sound anyway
   - No package provided on the Solaris 10u5 DVD
   - No package provided on the Solaris 2008/07 Companion CD

 * Jack
   - Not available on Solaris at all?

 * Coreaudio
   - Mac-specific so not relevant

Did I miss something?

               If you think the whole world revolves around you,
                 quit staring at the GPS display while driving.