Wine being targeted for adware

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Wed Jan 14 04:57:23 CST 2009

> As long as the facilities exist for keeping an entire wine bottle
> isolated from other bottles (and ~/) I don't see this being a major
> issue.
They don't.

Even if you don't have a drive link pointing out of a bottle, a Windows app
running in Wine can still call Linux syscalls(int 0x80). This is
possible/needed because Windows apps run as a regular Linux process that
links in Linux libraries which perform linux syscalls.

So any Windows malware can break out of the Wine "sandbox"(which isn't a
sandbox really) by simply using linux syscalls.