Wine being targeted for adware

Nicholas LaRoche nlaroche at vt.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:44:44 CST 2009

Austin English wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Eduardo Menezes
> <companheiro.vermelho at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think a "isolate prefix" option in winecfg (or even winetricks) would be
>> very useful.
>> Undoing symlinks and editing the registry to take out the reference to the
>> root is boring (and I'm not sure only doing this is entirely safe) and this
>> kind of option would make it possible to run untrusted software without
>> worrying.
>> I even ran some malwares in isolated wine prefixes and used diff to see what
>> it did. Learned a lot from this.
>> Anyway, a "nice to have" feature.
>>
>> Best wishes and thanks for this amazing software,
>>
>> 2009/1/14 <wine-devel-request at winehq.org>
>>> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:07:06 -0500
>>> From: Nicholas LaRoche <nlaroche at vt.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: Wine being targeted for adware
>>> To: Stefan D?singer <stefan at codeweavers.com>
>>> Cc: wine-devel at winehq.org

>>> On more recent distros (FC9/10) SELinux is enabled by default. Rolling a
>>> policy specifically for an untrusted bottle would severely limit the
>>> damage it could do. It could restrict all unnecessary read/write/execute
>>> access outside of the ~/.wine folder for wineserver and the program.
>>>
>>> I see your point though, since none of the aforementioned security
>>> precautions are commonplace or specifically targeted to wine.
>>>
>> --
>> Eduardo
>> "Toda Revolução é IMPOSSÍVEL até que se torne INEVITÁVEL!!!" (Leon Trotsky)
>>

> Windows doesn't provide this, why would wine?
>
> P.S., please bottom post on wine mailing lists.

The vanilla wine distribution probably wouldn't have it due to it being
low priority. That doesn't necessarily preclude a patch set from being
created that adds that functionality. There are definite advantages to
being able to override what an application can access or modify.

Any patches could always be pulled into the official repository if it
became a higher priority down the road.

 >> Windows doesn't provide this, why would wine?

See ReactOS for a clone of windows. Wine users should at least have the
option of patching in additional security features.

-Nick