Wine being targeted for adware

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Jan 15 16:54:14 CST 2009

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> What works only in a very limited fashion is using Windows apps to protect
> the Linux system. You can use a virus scanner to do a manual check over your
> drives, but scan-file-on-open features will likely fail.

There has been demand to implement a ClamAV powered on-access file scan
within Wine.  That should fill that niche nicely, and also more
elegantly since we don't have to run a Wine process to check the Wine
system.  This has the added benefit of making it harder to compromise
the virus checker itself, especially since that can then reside outside
the user's home folder.  In a very real way, we could handle Windows
security better than Windows.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie