Debian packages of Wine

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:05:44 CST 2009

2009/1/18 Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>:
> Ben Klein wrote:
>> Hi Maurilio,
>>
>> I see you've taken over building Lenny packages of Wine. Good work; at
>> least now there are *some* updated packages available.
>>
>> I talked to Scott a while ago about taking over from him for all
>> Debian package building. I have an automated build environment that
>> builds packages for all variations from etch/i386 to sid/amd64 (even
>> the very annoying-to-bulid-Wine-for etch/amd64). The one thing that
>> was stopping me from fully taking over from Scott was I don't have the
>> resources to host the packages.
>>
>> So I'm wondering the following:
>> 1) Do you think it's worth supporting Etch? (I argue yes, because it's
>> still stable)
>
> I gave up on Etch because of a few reasons. Etch was missing some
> important libraries so bits of Wine would be nonfunctional on amd64, and
> when users reported bugs on them because of debian brokenness it was an
> added headache.  Moreover, even at its peak the number of etch users was
> only about 1% of the Ubuntu total.

I know, it's a bitch. Biggest problem with supporting Etch/amd64 will
be making sure the users install the dependencies properly. I could
possibly do this by setting up a package (or series of packages) with
the required 32bit libs and have them appear in the repository.

>> 2) Are you interested in hosting my Etch and Sid packages?
>
> It's possible I guess, though it would be easier if you had your own
> server so you wouldn't have to wait on me for uploads.

Maurilio has offered to host my packages, which is probably neater
than having a mixture of Etch, Sid and Ubuntu packages on
budgetdedicated, and Lenny packages in his repository :)

>> 3) I'm clueless as to how to correctly set up a repository, so all I
>> have at the moment are the raw packages. Would you or Scott be able to
>> help out with this?
>>

> The repository software I use is reprepro, however there are others that
> may be easier to set up.

Maurilio and I have been discussing his repository. The only thing
it's missing is a GPG key to stop the message about unauthorised
packages.

>> Thanks,
>> Ben

I've also been playing around with -Zlzma. I can only get my packages
down to about 11MB, even with dev headers removed. Is there anything
else you can think of that you've done differently or specially?