AppDB: Rating / Patching

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 22 05:09:52 CST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
[...]
> > If you don't need to manually install the third-party library on a stock
> > installation of the application's officially supported Windows platform
> > (e.g. Wow on Windows XP), then you should not need to manually install
> > it in Wine. If you do, then that application cannot be rated platinum.
>
> True, but not the point I'm talking about.

Strange. It seemed spot on to me and I have not seen anything that would
make me think otherwise so far.

> On a stock install of Windows XP, you'd have to go get the runtimes and
> install them, same as under a stock Wine prefix.

Are you sure? It's quite possible that some Windows component (IE 7,
Messenger, a service pack, etc) installs these runtimes so that you
would not see this issue on Windows XP (or Vista). If so the Warcraft 3
maintainer is correct and the application cannot be rated platinum.

So maybe rather than 'stock Windows installation' I should say an 'up to
date Windows installation with no third party software'.

                     Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.