LWN Timeline for 2008: Wine 1.0 made it!

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:03:17 CST 2009

On 1/9/09, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> Sure they carry the Wine announcements, and occasionally mention an
> article about Wine in the Press section. But real articles about Wine?
> Nope. One almost gets the feeling that they don't like Wine for some
> reason...

There was a full lead-in article in the Development section right when
Wine hit the original Beta release - I wrote that.

Jonathan Corbett really doesn't seem to have a strong opinion
regarding Wine.  Or, at least if he has a personal opinion he seems
able to set it aside for the sake of whatever goes into LWN.  I've
exchanged a few emails with him at different times never got the
feeling he didn't like Wine.  It just doesn't seem to be something he
uses to solve any problems he might have.

LWN is definitely receptive to any articles.  Things that come to mind
would be an article describing Wine being used to get a specific
Windows program to run.  For example, how you could use Wine to make
iTunes run (not sure if iTunes is actually working these days.)
Another idea might be someone describing a backend development process
used to make Wine do something neat.  Like a technical description of
what CodeWeavers did to get Chrome to run, or what Google has done to
make the new version of Picasa work, etc.

As compensation, they'll give a subscription to LWN for a year.
That's what I got as compensation because I wasn't looking for $$$ and
it was something they could give away without costing any $$$.

-Brian