performance issue when OffscreenRenderingMode = "pbuffer"

Jérôme Gardou jerome.gardou at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:42:38 CST 2009

I tried to play Supreme Commander using pbuffer option instead of fbo. I
was quite happy with it, since I gained quite a bunch of performance (I
mean, something I really COULD see), but after a while, the performance
dropped dramatically, to ~4-5 fps.

I tested quite a few thing, and I finally found that pixel bufers were
not taken in account when calculating available texture memory. The game
then allocated more textures, and good opengl didn't dare complain when
putting them in system memory.

Attached is a patch which should solve the problem.

For those who are curious, try setting VideoMemorySize to 200 instead of
256. It works just like a charm.