A step in the wrong direction, in an ocean of steps in the right direction (try 3)

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Sun Jan 25 05:39:22 CST 2009

"Guillaume SH" <gsh.debianlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I'm following wine only for a short time (count in months, not in
> years) I guess reproducing windows unfixed defects is a choice
> (although I am not sure this decision comes from consensus or from a
> boss statement) made by wine team.

That comes from a simple understanding that win32 API behaviour
is defined by Microsoft, not by anybody else. Having a NULL check,
or even an exception handler in an API is not fix for a defect as
you might imply, that's actually good that applications crash when
they pass invalid data. Wine needs to handle invalid case only when
Windows does have them, and only if there are applications depending
on that behaviour.

If you whish to "fix" win32 API, make Microsoft hire you.

--
Dmitry.