Updated DIB Engine

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 08:18:46 CST 2009

2009/1/25 Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com>:
> The engine is disabled by default; can be changed by environment variable :
>
> export WINEDIB=ON (or ENABLE or ENABLED or TRUE)  enables it
> export WINEDIB=OFF (or DISABLE or DISABLED or FALSE)  disables it
>
> or by registry key :
>
> HKCU/Software/Wine/DIB Engine/Enable='Y'  enables it
> HKCU/Software/Wine/DIB Engine/Enable='N'  disables it
>
> the environment variable has precedence on registry, so for example if
> WINEDIB=ON and HKCU/Software/Wine/DIB Engine/Enable='N' the engine is
> enabled.
>
> I suggest to use the environment for the moment, at less you have an app
> that runs much better with the engine (autocad, for example...) which
> benefits from a default enabled engine in registry.

I'm still opposed to adding an environment variable for something so
simple (an enable/disable flag). It just seems like extra work for no
benefit to me. I'm sure we can all agree that the registry is a
suitable place for the setting.

Isn't the idea that the DIB engine will only be used as needed, and
will be good in all cases where it's used? If that's the case, it's
not too important having on-the-fly per-application enabling/disabling
(whereas WINEDEBUG and WINEDLLOVERRIDES can be VERY useful).