Wine menu creation questions

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Jan 26 06:50:22 CST 2009

Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com> writes:

> I have noticed that when wine creates a menu item (that for example,
> on Ubuntu gets put in the Applications > Wine > Programs menu), the
> command that gets written uses 'wine' as the program to run. This
> means that you need to have Wine in your PATH and cannot use more than
> one version of Wine. For example, if I wanted to use /opt/wine-1.0,
> /opt/crossover and /opt/wine for different applications I cannot
> access these correctly from the menu items created. Additionally, the
> user experience (yes, I have been watching Owen's Google talk :)) is
> that the application does not start (especially if the only version of
> Wine is not on the PATH).
>
> The solution to this is to add the full path to wine, e.g.
> '/opt/wine-1.0/bin/wine' when generating the menus. Are there any
> objections to this?

It seems to me you are just trading one problem for another, now it will
break if the wine binary is moved even if it's still in the PATH.

I think this should be handled by the desktop environment; if the app
specified in the menu isn't found it should offer a list of alternatives
or something along those lines. This is not specific to Wine.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org