Is there a way to set Z:\ as the whatever user's home folder?

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:36:50 CST 2009

2009/1/27 Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>:
> I want to have a read-only wine prefix that multiple users might access,
> however I also want to have a Z:\ drive that refers to a dynamic
> location - a folder inside the current user's home folder.  This isn't
> possible as far as I can tell, as Wine requires a symlink to the folder
> in the prefix's dosdevices directory, and a symlink can only point to a
> static file.

Symlinks can be relative. Note that C: in winecfg points to ../drive_c
by default. However, I don't think Wine supports dynamic paths in
drives.

> Assuming this is possible, are there any downsides to using this
> read-only prefix?  Assume for a moment that the application doesn't need
> write access to the registry or to its own folder.

One way you could do it would be to symlink C: to a shared location
instead of the whole prefix. You'd likely want to link/symlink the
registry too. This way, you could have H: dynamically set for each
user.