Updated DIB Engine

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:29:49 CST 2009

2009/1/27 Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com>:
> Any opinion about this one ? Could it be a good candidate for inclusion
> in wine tree ?

Hi,

I have used this with StarCraft, running it with and without the DIB
engine enabled. I find the environment variable makes it very easy to
switch between them during testing, so I am for this (as well as being
able to set the default option via the registry).

My experience with the game is that it is actually slower and has a
noticible stutter when compared to the non-DIB engine version. This
does not mean that I am opposed to this going in, as I know that the
blitting code is not yet optimised. In fact, I am for this to go in
(provided that Alexandre accepts it).

The only thing I would say is to break it up. For example, there are
bits that you have taken from Jesse and Huw's efforts that are various
isolated patches. These should be sent in a git patch format so that
the authors can be attributed in the Wine git tree as well as being in
the Copyright notices. Aside from that, if you could break the DIB
patch into smaller logical chunks it will be easier to review and get
the patches in.

Have you asked Alexandre on IRC what he thinks of the design?

- Reece