Updated DIB Engine

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 16:00:48 CST 2009

> 2009/1/27 Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com>:
> > Any opinion about this one ? Could it be a good candidate for inclusion
> > in wine tree ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have used this with StarCraft, running it with and without the DIB
> engine enabled. I find the environment variable makes it very easy to
> switch between them during testing, so I am for this (as well as being
> able to set the default option via the registry).
>
> My experience with the game is that it is actually slower and has a
> noticible stutter when compared to the non-DIB engine version. This
> does not mean that I am opposed to this going in, as I know that the
> blitting code is not yet optimised. In fact, I am for this to go in
> (provided that Alexandre accepts it).

In the end a dib engine will help a bit for StarCraft but for StarCraft the only proper way for hardware acceleration is to use the ddraw-gl backend in combination with the right rendertargetlockmode. Some games can really use a DIB engine though and that are games like Age of Empires I and II. Though in combination with a DIB engine more changes are needed for optimal performance (e.g. allow the DIB engine to directly draw into a ddraw surface without a memcpy)

Roderick
--
NUR NOCH BIS 31.01.! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 EURO/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a