Updated DIB Engine

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:14:44 CST 2009

2009/1/27 Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmx.net>:
>> 2009/1/27 Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com>:
>> > Any opinion about this one ? Could it be a good candidate for inclusion
>> > in wine tree ?
>>
>> I have used this with StarCraft, running it with and without the DIB
>> engine enabled. I find the environment variable makes it very easy to
>> switch between them during testing, so I am for this (as well as being
>> able to set the default option via the registry).
>>
>> My experience with the game is that it is actually slower and has a
>> noticible stutter when compared to the non-DIB engine version. This
>> does not mean that I am opposed to this going in, as I know that the
>> blitting code is not yet optimised. In fact, I am for this to go in
>> (provided that Alexandre accepts it).
>>

> In the end a dib engine will help a bit for StarCraft but for StarCraft the only proper way for hardware acceleration is to use the ddraw-gl backend in combination with the right rendertargetlockmode. Some games can really use a DIB engine though and that are games like Age of Empires I and II. Though in combination with a DIB engine more changes are needed for optimal performance (e.g. allow the DIB engine to directly draw into a ddraw surface without a memcpy)

Sure,

I wasn't expecting a speed boost here, because the implementation is
essentially a proof of concept - hence me saying that the blitting
code was not optimised .

The game was functional; no noticible visual regressions, which is
good. I haven't done any more testing yet.

Another thing this should improve is the theme rendering for
alpha-blended images, but likely not at the moment.

- Reece