Updated DIB Engine

Massimo Del Fedele max at veneto.com
Wed Jan 28 02:54:44 CST 2009

Jesse Allen ha scritto:

> The DIB engine is really unlikely to help starcraft the game at all.
> However, try staredit.exe ;)
>
> Jesse

The engine in its current state will, IMO, help just those apps that
don't require real time graphics but do make many drawings on dibs, so
requiring many conversions between dib itself and X11.
For example, apps with tons of text drawings on dibs will benefit
greatly with the engine.
Optimizing blitting will increase the number of such apps.
Keep in mind that by now the blitting is a slow sequence of read
pixel-convert format-write pixel, with no care if source and destination
bitmaps have the same format, for example, which could be handled by
simple memmove. It doesn't handle clipping, either, nor ROP operations.

For Autocad (with many TT fonts on drawing) the speed gain is something
like 50x - 100x, depending on the amount of text objects.... I don't
know staredit, but I'd like to know what is the speed increase :-)

Ciao

Max